Fares for Journeys
The following are the correct fares for journeys by electronic taxis taximeters:
- In Fiji there there now only electronic taxi meters available. The only difference is that there are VAT INCLUSIVE TAXIS [VIP] and VAT EXCLUSIVE TAXIS [VEP].
- Use of taxi meter is a must in all towns and cities except Tailevu, Korovou and Levuka.
VAT INCLUSIVE TAXIS [VIP]
- Flag fall - $1.50
- For the first or part of first 200 meters after flag fall – $0.30 (30 Cents) increase
- For each or part of every other 200 meters after the first 200 meters- $0.11 [11 cents] increase
VAT EXCLUSIVE TAXIS [VEP]
- Flag fall- $1.50
- For the first or part 200 meters after flag fall- $0.10 [10 cent] increase
- For each or part of every other 200 meters after the first 200 meters – $0.10 [10 cents] increase
Night Flag fall - from 10pm to 6am, the flagfall starts at $2 and the conditions for VIP and VEP taxis remain the same.
Waiting Charge - 10 cents per minute
- Delay by driver.
No change is to be made for a period during which a vehicle is delayed because of a shortage of petrol or diesel or because of any accident or as a result of a mechanical or other defect, or through any event or happening which is within the power of the driver to prevent.
- Delay by police or authorised officer.
No charge is to be made for a period during which a vehicle is delayed because of the instruction of police or authorised officer given under the provisions of the Act
- Journeys made by taxi to a picking–up point.
If a taxi driver by appointment travels to a pick-up point (in this paragraph referred to as 'the specified place') to pick up a hirer or his or her luggage or goods to another place, no charge is to be made for the journey of the taxi to the specified place and the following procedure applies
- drivers must, on arrival at the specified place, give reasonable notice to the hirer personally of the arrival of the taxi;
- the driver must set the taximeter in motion at the time of giving notice of arrival to the hirer or at the time appointed for the arrival of the taxi at the specified place, whichever, is the later, and the hiring and the journey must be regarded as commencing when the taximeter is so set in motion and no sooner; and
- the hiring and journey is regarded as commencing at the time of giving the notice of arrival to the hirer or at the time appointed for the arrival of the taxi at the specified place, whichever, is later and no sooner.
- The taxi meter should be turned on once the passenger boards the taxi and the taxi is about to move.
- Fare negociation without the use of taxi meter for long distances is the call of the passenger. If the passenger wishes for the meter to be put on throughout the journey, then the driver is obliged to adhere to that.